WTF Festival returning to Sault Ste. Marie
#LSN_Arts #LSN_CircleTour Sault Ste Marie
Sault Ste Marie, ONTARIO - May 12, 2019 (LSN) This year, you can go With The Family. The WTF Festival is returning to Sault Ste. Marie. Taking place June 6 to 8, the 2019 event features a number of family-friendly entertainment, including a star-studded variety show, magic and improv workshops, and a Grease movie showing and sing-a-long.
“We’re thrilled to be bringing comedy back with the second-annual WTF Festival,” said Alana Kenopic, Manager of Sports Tourism & Special Events for the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation. “For this year’s event, we have a new lineup of performers and shows that the whole family can enjoy. It’s going to be a blast.”
The 2019 WTF Festival features the following events:
Thursday, June 6
- Ryan McFarling: The Imposter is performing An Evening of
Stolen Original Magic Tricks at the Water Tower Inn. Doors open at 7:45 p.m. Ryan has modeled his show after those performed by the great Houdini at the turn of the century. It’s close-up, relaxed and mind-blowing.
Friday, June 7
- The Night of Hilarity and Awe variety show is happening at the Machine Shop. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and showtime is 8 p.m. The event is being hosted by Naomi Snieckus and Matt Baram, who both won Canadian Comedy Awards in the Best Improviser category. Naomi is known for her regular role as Bobbi in the television series Mr. D, and Matt is an alumnus of the legendary Second City Comedy Theatre. The Night of Hilarity and Awe will also feature the return of David Merry, one of Canada’s premier magicians, along with Men in Tights: The Kings of Shakespearian Improvisation and Canadian Comedy Award winning stand-up Martha Chaves. The evening will close with Sean Cullen, an author, actor, singer and award-winning comedian. During the variety show, the 2019 Dave Broadfoot Award will be presented to this year’s winner by Royal Canadian Air Farce alum Don Ferguson. Guests can enjoy an all-in ticket option that includes a pre-show from local illusionist Ryan McFarling with appetizers and cocktails.
Saturday, June 8
- Actor, author and stand-up comedian Sean Cullen is doing a Reading and Signing of his children’s books from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Machine Shop. The event will include a meet and greet with the author, question and answer session, and draws for book giveaways.
- Stand-up comedian and magician David Merry will be teaching his workshop, Magic Tricks With Household Items, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Machine Shop.
- The WTF Improv Workshop, presented by Men in Tights: The Kings of Shakespearian Improvisation, is taking place from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Machine Shop. During the improv training session, the audience can explore and learn various performance styles from some of the best comedians in the business.
- Magician Ryan McFarling is holding an Illusion Workshop from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Machine Shop. Following an ice-breaking baffling demonstration, open discussions will cover magic, magicians, secrecy and the golden rules of magic. Each attendee (must be eight years or older) will be taught the basics of magic and a trick or two that they can show off later to family and friends.
- Learn to Dance the Hand Jive Workshop will take place in the Machine Shop at 6:45 p.m. before the start of Sing-A-Long Productions presents GREASE. Attendees can come on out a little early and learn all the moves they’ll need to own the dance floor during the show.
- Sing-A-Long Productions presents GREASE will cap off the festival. Grab your leather jackets and head down to the Machine Shop for a showing and live sing-a-long of the musical comedy film Grease. The show starts at 8 p.m. Have you ever been to a film musical and had the uncontrollable urge to burst into song? The evening will begin with host comedian Sean Cullen leading a vocal warm-up. Before the show, the audience will receive a free interactive prop bag and learn appropriate heckles and accompanying actions to use throughout the movie. Just sit back and watch Danny & Sandy and the gang, while singing and dancing along to the lyrics on the screen. It couldn’t be easier . . . or more fun! The first rule of Sing-a-long-a is: there are no rules! Fancy dress is strongly encouraged and full audience participation essential
Space is limited for all the events. For ticket information, along with more details on the performances and workshops, please visit www.wtffestival.ca.
The WTF Festival is an initiative of the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation. The organization, through its Tourism Sault Ste. Marie division, works to attract visitors to the community. Last year, the corporation facilitated the inaugural WTF Festival, which was named Best New Festival for 2018 by Festivals & Events Ontario. Organizers hope to make in an annual event for the community.
PHOTO: Canadian Comedy Award winners Matt Baram and Naomi Snieckus, hosts of the WTF Night of Hilarity and Awe variety show.